Thursday, January 29, 2009

Comfort Food




The best part of growing up in the South is the food. My grandmother and my dad were the best cooks when it came to food that I like to call comfort food. Some of my favorites would be Country Fried Steak, Chicken and Dumplings, Fried Chicken, Fried Okra, Cream Corn, Mashed Potatoes, Mac & Cheese and my all time favorite is Biscuits and Gravy or Biscuits with homemade Apple Butter. Well unfortunately both of them have gone to heaven now to cook for everyone up there. So I started thinking Reece is not going to get to experience this wonderful food very often (not that we need to eat all this fried food often) and I want her to know what true Southern food is and how to make it. I can remember growing up and being in the kitchen with my grandmother and her teaching me and my cousin Suzie how to make biscuits. Well Suzie mastered this much better than I did because her and her dad are the only ones that I know that can even come close to her biscuits and to be honest they might even be better. I want Reece to have this same experience that I did growing up so I am going to start learning how to cook many of these meals and as she gets older teach her how to as well. The first thing I have to do is get recipes on as many Southern meals as I can and start practicing so that I know what I am doing. I want to learn how to cook these from scratch like they did and not buy frozen or premade so any recipes anyone has out there send them on over and I will start right away. I will keep you informed on how many things I mess up or burn because I know it will happen often, I love to cook but I am not very good at it.

3 comments:

  1. When are you going to update! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Patricia Neely-Dorsey. I am from Tupelo,MS and the author of Reflections of a Mississipi Magnolia-A Life in Poems.
    I have been enjoying reading your blog (beautiful wedding!!)
    and was wondering if you might possibly feature my book on your blog to introduce my book to your readers.



    Patricia Neely Dorsey's Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia-A Life in Poems is "a true celebration of the south and things southern." The author states , "There are so many negative connotations associated with Mississippi and the south in general. In my book, using childhood memories, personal thoughts and dreams, I attempt to give a positive glimpse into the southern way of life. In my book I try to show that there is much is more to Mississippi and the south than all of the negatives usually portrayed .I invite readers to Meet Mississippi (and the south) Through Poetry ,Prose and The Written Word."

    SOUTHERN LIFE
    If you want a glimpse of Southern life,
    Come close and walk with me;
    I'll tell you all the simple things,
    That you are sure to see.
    You'll see mockingbirds and bumblebees,
    Magnolia blossoms and dogwood trees,
    Caterpillars on the step,
    Wooden porches cleanly swept;
    Watermelons on the vine,
    Strong majestic Georgia pines;
    Rocking chairs and front yard swings,
    Junebugs flying on a string;
    Turnip greens and hot cornbread,
    Coleslaw and barbecue;
    Fried okra, fried corn, fried green tomatoes,
    Fried pies and pickles too.
    There's ice cold tea that's syrupy sweet,
    And cool, green grass beneath your feet;
    Catfish nipping in the lake,
    And fresh young boys on the make.
    You'll see all these things
    And much, much more,
    In a way of life that I adore.
    Copyright 2008 Patricia Neely-Dorsey
    from Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia-A Life In Poems


    BOOK AVAILABLE: www.reeds.ms/book.asp
    or www.Amazon.com
    AUTHOR WEBSITE: www.patricianeelydorsey.webs.com





    PATRICIA NEELY-DORSEY

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL
    I meant beautiful little wedding outfits on the kids.

    ReplyDelete